Gamer's thumb is a type of repetitive strain injury (RSI) and goes by many terms such as De Quervain's tenosynovitis, also known as De Quervain's syndrome or De Quervain's disease but the pain, but no matter the name, the pain and discomfort is all the same. Gamer’s thumb is typically caused by repetitive motions involved in activities such as gaming or excessive texting on smartphones. It is primarily characterized by pain, inflammation, or tenderness in the thumb or the base of the thumb and is a condition that affects the tendons on the thumb side of the wrist.
Gamer’s thumb is a form of tenosynovitis, which refers to inflammation of the sheath surrounding a tendon. In De Quervain's tenosynovitis, the tendons that control the movement of the thumb become irritated and swollen. The exact cause is often unknown, but it is commonly associated with repetitive hand or wrist motions, such as gripping, pinching, or repetitive thumb movements. Any esport athlete can tell you this pain is common and central to their gaming activity, but other activities like texting, typing, playing musical instruments, or repetitive lifting can contribute to the development of this condition.
De Quervain's tenosynovitis symptoms include pain and tenderness at the base of the thumb, near the wrist. The pain may extend up the forearm and can worsen with thumb and wrist movement. Swelling and difficulty moving the thumb or grasping objects may also occur.
To prevent or alleviate gamer's thumb, it is recommended to take breaks during gaming or texting sessions, maintain good posture, and perform stretching exercises for the hands and wrists. If the pain persists or worsens, it is advisable to consult a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment options.
Some common treatments include:
- Rest: Avoiding activities that aggravate the symptoms and giving the affected hand and wrist adequate rest.
- Splinting: Wearing a splint or brace that immobilizes the thumb and wrist, which helps reduce inflammation and promotes healing.
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain relievers or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Ice and heat therapy: Applying ice packs or warm compresses to the affected area can help alleviate pain and reduce swelling.
- Physical therapy: Specific exercises and stretches for the thumb and wrist can help improve mobility, strength, and flexibility.
- Corticosteroid injections: In some cases, a healthcare professional may administer corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation and relieve symptoms.
- Surgical intervention: In severe or persistent cases, when conservative treatments fail to provide relief, surgery may be considered to release the affected tendons.
Luckily, CannaTape Sport is an amazing alternative to slow-acting treatments or treatments with well-documented negative side effects. CannaTape Sport is an all-natural, and highly effective way to treat inflammation and provide thumb and wrist support all in one package. CannaTape Sport combines active ingredients like CBD, white willow bark extract, and MSM to provide powerful inflammation reduction, MSM and DMSO are included to deliver those inflammation-fighting benefits by boosting our powerful formula’s cell permeation and absorption. Menthol and Peppermint Essential oil provide cooling that soothes aches and pains. Lastly, this is easy to target pain and offer support with the use of Kinesiology tape. A highly flexible athletic adhesive tape supports muscles and joints, improves circulation, and provides pain relief. Additionally, Kinesiology tape assists in reducing swelling and inflammation, as well as providing support and promoting proper movement.
Learn more about proper application technique, follow our simple instructions for Thumb or De Quervian tenosynovitis on our website’s Taping Instructions section.
If you or someone you know is suffering from Game’s thumb or are looking to minimize the risk of developing Gamer’s thumb, consider CannaTape Sport as an alternative or preventative measure to costly and painful solutions to this serious ailment.