Ankle pain, though widespread, varies from persistent discomfort to a hindrance in daily activities. Numerous factors can contribute to ankle pain, ranging from sudden injuries and joint misalignment to degeneration and excessive pressure on the joint. The key to addressing ankle pain lies in identifying its cause and mitigating inflammation.
Ankle discomfort is often linked to inflammation, whether due to overuse or stress on the joint. In such cases, additional support becomes crucial in preventing further damage and re-injury.
When faced with ankle pain and the goal is to reduce inflammation and provide additional joint support, CannaTape Sport tape is proven to be beneficial in relieving issues and preventing re-injury. By harnessing the benefits of our transdermal CBD (derived from industrial hemp), and white willow extract infused into our Kinesiology tape, this method enhances blood flow and stability. The cooling effects of menthol and peppermint essential oil work together to alleviate minor aches and pains associated with ankle issues.
The ankle is a pivotal joint, supporting movement, and weight-bearing in horizontal and vertical directions. Common ankle disorders include issues like posterior tibial tendonitis. Minor ankle pain can often be managed at home with rest and ice, while more severe injuries may require surgical intervention.
Ankle pain is not exclusive to elite athletes, and ankle issues affect many individuals at some point. To prevent ankle injuries and pain, consider strengthening the ankle by:
- Single-Leg Balance in Front of a Mirror: Stand on one leg in front of a mirror and observe your foot and ankle for any wobbling. Check how easily you can maintain balance. Challenge yourself further by moving the other leg forward and back, simulating a running motion. Can you still maintain that steady balance?
- Y-Balance Test: Place a tape measure on the floor, angled 45 degrees away from your standing foot. While balancing on one leg, reach back with your toe and touch the farthest point on the measure without losing balance. Repeat on the other side and compare. Research suggests that runners with reach differences greater than four centimeters are more prone to injuries.
- Balance Practice During Daily Activities: Work on your balance throughout the day. Challenge yourself by standing on one leg while brushing your teeth. Amp up the difficulty by closing your eyes once you master the basics.
- Single-Leg Cone Touch: Set up two cones of different heights in front of you, one foot apart. Stand on one leg and pivot forward at the hip to touch the top of one cone. Jump up, land, and touch the other cone. Switch legs every two reps and take breaks every eight. Aim for 3-4 sets. For an added challenge, perform this exercise on an unstable surface like a Bosu ball.
- Bosu Ball Figure 8: Stand on a Bosu ball with your feet apart. Hold a medium-weight medicine ball and squat. As you squat, move the ball to the right of your legs with your knees forward. Stand and slowly take the ball overhead. Squat again, taking the ball to the left. Repeat the right, overhead, and left moves in a figure-of-eight motion. Complete 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.
- These tests and exercises are designed to enhance your ankle stability, flexibility, and overall strength. Incorporate them into your routine to keep your ankles in peak condition. As always, consult with your healthcare provider or a fitness professional before starting a new exercise regimen.
Now, where does CannaTape Sport fit into the equation for ankle issues?
Disruptions caused by ankle pain can be frustrating, and conventional remedies may involve extended recovery periods or the use of medications with potential side effects. However, CannaTape Sport, with its CBD + Kinesiology tape, offers a natural solution. The transdermal formula delivers pain relief directly to the affected area, and the menthol and peppermint essential oil provide a refreshing sensation to alleviate aches and pains. When correctly applied, the Kinesiology tape enhances blood flow and stability.
Prevention is often the best strategy. Regularly applying CannaTape Sport before and after exercise is a proactive approach to managing or preventing ankle pain. Whether you're dealing with occasional ankle pain or aiming to avoid it, CannaTape Sport provides relief and aids the body in its recovery process.
For detailed application instructions, explore our expanded CannaTape Sport guidelines. Remember to consult with your doctor or healthcare provider when experiencing pain or before starting any treatment.
How to apply:
The recommended ankle application takes either two or three (3) pieces of tape. The idea is to add support to the natural motions of the joint. Avoid stretching the first and the last 2 inches of the tape’s ends. This ensures a secure bond with the skin, creating a solid anchor point without losing adhesion or pulling on the skin.
For the most effective CannaTape Sport tape tension, stretch to the desired application area and then release 20% of the tension of the tape before adhering the tape to the skin. This ensures the tape will provide proper bond and tension during all positions of movement.
To create a well-bonded stretch, use your thumb and/or index finger to apply pressure evenly across the length of each applied strip of tape, sliding upward along the tape.
Bend the knee and anchor a strip of tape on the lateral (outside) side of the mid-calf. Apply tape in a downward direction curving in an L-shape along the ankle to the side of the foot.
Wrap a second strip of tape around the ankle, trimming the strip of tape to length – allowing a small gap between ends on the inside of the ankle to avoid overlap and restriction of circulation. Rub and smooth the tape to warm the tape to activate the adhesive and create the best skin bond.
Place the ankle in a neutral position. Tear the tape backing paper 2 inches from the end of the tape strip. Apply the tape as an anchor on the outside of the midfoot without any stretch. Remove the center 60% of the tape backing paper. Apply the tape with moderate stretch underneath the foot and up the inside of the ankle. Remove the last 2 inches of backing paper. With no stretch, apply the tape to the inside front of the lower shin.
Repeat the same technique as the first strip. Start on the inside of the foot and end on the outside of the ankle and lower shin, next to the first strip.
Remove the last 2 inches of a third strip. Place the anchor on the outside of the heel with no stretch. Remove the center 60% of the backing paper. Stretch the tape moderately while wrapping around the back of the heel/foot, then underneath the heel to cross over the first anchor on the outside of the ankle. Remember not to stretch the last 2 inches of the tape for the best adhesion. Rub and smooth the tape to warm it and activate the adhesive, creating the best skin bond.
Once applied, the CannaTape Sport tape can remain in place and continue to be effective for up to 3 - 4 days before replacing it. If the corners lose bond from the skin, simply trim the loose tape with scissors and rub the remaining tape back onto the skin.
For additional ankle information about ankle injuries focusing on runner-specific issues, be sure to check out this article in Runner’s World at https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/health/injury/a775957/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-ankle-injuries/
For some hard-to-reach areas of the body (like the back or shoulder), working with a partner to apply tape will ensure a more effective application.
CannaTape Sport has a formula including Vitamin E and Tea Tree Oil that aids in skin health, so prolonged use is easy on the skin.
For information about safe and pain-free removal, please refer to our Pro Tips removal page.
Follow these instructions and you are well on your way to knee pain relief and healing.
If you found this newsletter helpful, and think a friend or family member might be suffering from knee pain, feel free to pass this along to them. We think it's worth spreading the news!